Sunday 13 December 2015

Citrus peel vinegar cleaner (DIY)

Hi folks!

Last week, I came across an article (click!) about the uses of orange peels. One of them was about making your own all-purpose cleaner! For I eat lots of tangerines during winter, I always have heaps and heaps of citrus peels at my disposal, so I decided to make my own.

I've always used vinegar as a cleaner for my windows, floors, bathroom and furniture. It's a fabulous degreaser and descales every tap and tile. It's very cheap and harmless to all animals (including humans, yay!)

Want to make some yourself? Here is a simple guide.

You will need:
  • an empty pot (or bottle with wide bottleneck)
  • citrus peels (fresh or frozen)
  • white vinegar


Tear or cut the peels into smaller pieces and put them loosely in the jar until approximately 1/2 to 1 inch under the rim.


Cover with white vinegar, nearly until the rim. Close the lid tightly and shake the jar.


Put the jar in a dark spot or cupboard and let sit for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, sieve the content and throw away the peels. Mix the citrus infused vinegar 1:1 with water and put in a (spray) bottle. Use a desired. It leaves a very fresh scent after using!

Note: do not use vinegar cleaner on waxed or untreated wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment